How much do freight brokers earn? We get this question all the time. Nate Cross tackles the ever so popular question and reviews how a broker’s income varies based on a variety of factors.
The top reason for failure for any freight broker or freight agent is giving up. The good news is, YOU can overcome that reason and make yourself someone who doesn’t give up.
Whenever you are challenged, it’s always hardest in the beginning before it becomes easy. Freight management is no exception. For any freight broker starting out, you will undoubtedly face the challenges of forming a foundation; making calls, building relationships and receiving loads. However, as you gain success over time, it does become easier and even fun.
What challenges will you face as a freight broker/freight agent? One challenge for a beginning freight broker is when they start to accumulate successes in their career, they sometimes tend to give up or push themselves less and less. On the flip side, if the freight broker does not see a success or big enough payoff soon enough – they give up completely. The biggest mistake anyone can make is to start something, hit a few road blocks right away, and then give up before it gets any easier. Plus you’ve just wasted a bunch of time!
What’s fantastic about this industry is when you make the commitment to NEVER, EVER give up, you can’t help but be a success! Only when you commit and persevere, will you achieve all of your business, career and financial goals. It all begins with promising yourself that you’ll stay the course and not divert from it.
Why would you give up anyway? You wouldn’t give up eating. You wouldn’t give up sleeping. You wouldn’t give up waking up in the morning. So then why would you give up on your goals and dreams?
Why Do We Give Up?
I’m sure many of you have seen hundreds of articles about successful entrepreneurs and thought to yourself, “Well, it’s easy for them to say ‘Never give up’ when they’re a successful entrepreneur! Everything I’ve ever attempted has failed!”
That’s a key point for this topic: The reason we give up is because we’ve allowed so many other attempts at success to fail. After enough experiences with attempting something numerous times and allowing it to fail, we begin to associate our dreams with failure and disappointment.
The lies we hear in our mind keep telling us that we’re going to fail anyway, so we might as well give up now. How many times has that happened to you?
But there IS a solution and here’s five steps on how freight brokers and freight agents can break this pattern of failure and train their mind to never give up:
1. Stay Focused
Success speaker Tony Robbins says, “Where focus goes, emotion flows. What you focus on – the thoughts you choose – decide your emotions”. When you focus on how challenging your situation is, you’ll feel overwhelmed and frustrated. On the other hand, when you focus on the possibilities, and the rewards of persevering, you’ll feel motivated, excited and ready to work. Stay focused and you’ll finish anything.
2. Stay Positive
It may take weeks, months or years to achieve your goals. That’s why you must give yourself permission to be happy with making small progress. Each day, focus on doing just a little more than the day before and enjoy all your little victories along the way.
3. Have A Great Support Network
You’ll have setbacks on the way to your goals – guaranteed. You’ll have setbacks today and this week. The average person has a crisis once every three months! Don’t avoid these challenges and setbacks. Build up a support network of people who’ll assist you when these challenges do come up. These can be other freight agents or just great friends whom you can confide with. Just make sure they’re on board with your goals. When you have a support network that understands where you’re going, it gives you the strength and energy to overcome your setbacks.
4. Seek Out Ways To Assist Others
When you focus on ‘What can I get’ you tire yourself out. Then you make yourself feel like a victim when you don’t get what you want. Instead, focus on “What can I GIVE”. When you focus on giving and ensuring other people get what they want, you’ll inevitably get what YOU want and feel happier along the way.
5. Have Faith
Finally, have Faith. Not faith where you delude yourself into thinking that everything will be grand even when you never put in the work. It’s having faith in the process. Again, when you commit to a plan and work that plan every single day, you WILL achieve milestones and victories. Only when you stay with the process long enough and hard enough, is it impossible not to succeed.
As you build your freight broker business, you’re going to witness rejection. It’s inevitable. However, as great a freight broker or freight agent as you might be, not everybody wants to deal with you! This is a perfect reason to always be building your contact list.
The rejections freight brokers experience might not be the harsh rejections a door-to-door salesperson may have to endure. However, when people don’t answer your calls, don’t reply to your emails, or tell you not to contact them again, you’re witnessing rejection. This can affect your confidence and your desire to make more calls and contacts.
Perhaps, the biggest indicator of your future success as a freight broker is your ability to tolerate failure and rejection. When you allow rejection to upset you, it won’t be long before you give up on this profession and on your goals. On the other hand, when you learn to tolerate rejection and reach the point where it doesn’t affect you, you become unstoppable. Can you learn to deal with rejection? The answer is absolutely YES!
Here Are 5 Ways For Freight Brokers To Deal With Rejection:
- Have a vision and don’t lose sight: As a freight broker, you have a large, compelling and motivating vision for your life, and goals you desire to achieve. It puts rejection into perspective. Remember, that one rejection is just a small blip on a freight broker’s overall journey to achieving their goals. They must take the focus off how challenging the rejection may appear and keep their focus on their vision.
- Focus on the positive: When a freight broker (or anyone) focuses on their challenges, what are they going to get? More challenges! Think about it. Has focusing on your challenges EVER got you what you desired? However, when you focus on SOLUTIONS, what will you get? Solutions and Success in the freight broker business. Successful people are ruthlessly solution orientated. When freight brokers experience rejection, they must pick up the pieces, dust themselves off, focus on their vision and solutions and get back to work with a smile.
- What are the lessons you can learn? Rejection is a great teacher. Each rejection and challenge has within it a valuable lesson. Napoleon Hill, author of Think and Grow Rich says it best: Every adversity, every failure, every heartache, carries with it the seed of equal or greater opportunity.
- Nothing happens before it’s time: Accept that it wasn’t right for you at that moment. There’s another saying: Whatever you resist persists. When you accept the rejection and don’t fight reality, the emotion disappears. For example, when it rains, you can resist it by saying: I’m so mad it’s raining. Can’t this rain stop? I’m going to get wet walking to work, which will make my clothes wet, which will make me look unprofessional for the meeting…blah…blah…blah. See how silly this is? By not resisting it, all you would say is: It’s just a little rain. When it rains, you just accept that it’s raining and get on with your day. With practice, you can become as emotionless about rejection as you are about rain.
- Don’ttake it personally: Finally, and most importantly, don’t take rejection personally. You can’t take it personally because rejection isn’t about you! Rejection is not a measure of YOUR self-worth. When someone rejects you, they’re acting out of their own insecurities, doubts and fears. Maybe they’re busy. Maybe they have a lot of stress because their rent is late and the landlord is pressuring them. Maybe it’s raining outside and they just can’t stand the rain! The reality is, rejection has more to do with them, than you. Once any freight broker or freight agent gets their head around this, they’ll have no trouble picking up the phone and making those calls!
For every freight broker and freight agent, achieving your goal in this industry is going to take time. One day of hard, focused effort isn’t going to be enough. To get what you desire, you have to put in hard, focused work every single day, day after day, for a long and extended period of time – even months and years.
Like billionaire Warren Buffet says:
“It doesn’t matter how hard you try, it takes nine months to have a baby.”
Every day, you have to wake up and take the steps necessary to get what you desire. To do this, you’ll have to tap into your motivation. To have a successful freight broker agent business, it takes a tremendous amount of motivation to get out there every day and make calls, build relationships, and face objections when you ask for the order. Motivation, however, is a skill you can learn.
Are you a Freight Broker willing to pay the price?
There was once a businessman who made a fortune in the cleaning industry. On an interview for a TV show, he was once asked “What is the secret of success?”
His reply was:
“To become successful, you have to first know what you want, and then determine the price you are willing to pay to achieve it. If you pay the price, you will achieve your goal.”
Whether your desire is to become a millionaire, or just make a little extra money so you can go on vacation or pay your rent on time, there will be a price you’ll have to pay to accomplish this.
You’ll have to work hard and make sacrifices to keep learning and growing and changing. Your goal will cost you time, effort and energy!
The question is:
“Are YOU a Freight Broker or Freight Agent willing to pay the price?”
No one else will do this for you. It’s all on your shoulders and the success of your freight broker business depends on it.
If you’re willing to pay the price, you can accomplish anything you desire. Most people are not willing to pay the price. It’s too difficult. It’s too intimidating and they don’t desire it bad enough.
Even if you aren’t very motivated right now, you can unlock your hunger when you follow these 3 Essentials of Business Success:
All success in this industry and in life begins with a goal. Set some compelling goals that light a fire under your belly and get them down on paper. If you don’t have a written list of your goals, then all you have are just dreams.
You must follow a proven system if you want to be successful in the logistics industry. If you don’t take the actions that successful freight brokers take, then you can’t get the results that successful freight brokers get. Your roadmap to selling more freight includes making 3 new contacts a day and following up with your list weekly via email and phone.
Last but most importantly is Motivation. Motivation is the glue that holds everything together. It’s your WHY. As Nietzsche said, “A man with a strong enough WHY can endure any HOW!”.
In other words, it’s motivation that gives you the discipline to review your goals and it’s motivation that allows you to stick to the system.
As a Freight Broker or Freight Agent, if you follow these three steps – and pay the required price – then you can live out your dreams and create an amazing life for yourself and your family!